Sunday, September 21, 2008



The first image i chose is a watercolor on rice paper and cloth byVarunika Saraf. I feel that this painting shows the principal theme of my fear project, claustrophobia and also it depicts the feeling that I want to display in my project. The way the flower pattern wraps around the girl in the image is inspirational for me because I want the spaces in my project to feel like they are coming in onto you from all sides.

The second image is the new design for the railway station in Belgium by Santiago Calatrava. I think that the way he controls light through other means than just flat walls or planes creates alot of interest within the spaces. I want to play with shadows created by the openings in the roof and walls to create an eerie feeling. Though his structures do not evoke fear, he uses structural forms that play with the way light enters. The bars that make up the structure and leave spaces for light and shadow are inspiring for me in how I will create a dark and uncomfortable feeling through the control of the light that enters my structure.

No comments: